Okay…. so I’m back to cartoons again. It’s almost Saturday here in Australia, but while I have a few minutes left of Friday, I’ll sneak in a quick Flashback Friday. This weeks favorite is Shazzan, not to be confused with Shazam, the Captain Marvel cartoon. Shazzan is the story of teenage twins, Chuck and Nancy who find a ring.. oh hang on.. I’ll just recite the opening to you…. Imagine if you will, Arabian music playing.. You’re transported back to the land of the Arabian Nights…… then, the voice over…
- Inside a cave off the coast of Maine, Chuck and Nancy find a mysterious chest containing the halves of a strange ring. When joined, the ring forms the word “Shazzan” and with this magical command, they are transported back to the fabled land of the Arabian Nights. Here they meet their genie, Shazzan. Shazzan presents them with Kaboobie, a magic flying camel. Shazzan will serve them whenever they call, but he cannot return them home until they deliver the ring to it’s rightful owner. And thus begins their incredible journey.
- Ahhh it’s the stuff cartoons are made of. And Hanna Barbera knew their stuff. They created some amazing cartoons, and I adored most of them, but Shazzan was a personal favorite. Shazzan was one huge genie who made everyone look miniature in comparison. Poor Chuck and Nancy could only summon him when they needed help and then they had to put the two halves of the ring together and say the magic conjuring word… Shazzan…. But of course, the villains always managed to keep them apart until the end when Shazzan would finally appear and get them out of their latest scrape..
- There were 36 episodes in all… and they never managed to find the rightful owners of the ring.. nor did they ever get home again before the series ended. It’s sad to think they never made it back home but at least they had the company of the adorable Kaboobie the camel. He was, by and large, my very favorite character of the series.. Shazzam was a bit self righteous and patronising at times, though all in all he was a pretty cool genie.. but Kaboobie.. well, even if he was being self righteous, we’d never have known.. because we couldn’t understand a word he said anyway.
- I know I’ve said it before.. but I’ll say it again.. they don’t make cartoons like this anymore..
- Happy Shazzaning… Livvy 🙂